Saturday 2 January 2016

Day 2 30 paintings in 30 Days

Jan 2, 2016

30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge
 

Day 2
 

 




Alice Edwards 1949 --
In the Studio
6" x 8"
oil on canvas board
 








I'd say good morning everyone but I roared straight out of here to visit an artist in another town. On the drive there I thought about things I'd recognized yesterday.
 

After a fourteen year hiatus I need to remember things I took for granted years ago. Things I didn't have to think about. They were beyond 2nd nature. They were built in at the cellular level.
 

Things like the envelope, placement, perspective, colour harmony, colour theory, spatial relationships one thing to to another and so on. The fundamentals.
 

Fundamentals I have to deliberately keep in mind now
And mostly I have to listen to the painting as it talks to me.
 

Anyway off I went to visit with my friend the painter
 

Since Oct we've tried artist to get together once a week for our dates. Both of us find it very beneficial helping us get our creative fires burning a little hotter every week
 

Today we sketched in the library, then went back to her place where she fed me hot apple pie with vanilla yogurt on the side. Yum
 

Afterwards we settled down to work side by side.
 

I hoped to get back here in time to photograph today's
painting outside under the over cast skies. A hope that was almost dashed when I had to go back to her place because I'd left my palette behind. That could have been a complete disaster had she not noticed and sent a text. Normally I just ignore that when I drive but today I had a feeling. Good thing I listened to it.
 

Just made it home just in time to catch the light and get the shot. Whew!
 

Todays experiment like yesterday's is a limited palette.
Alizarin Crimson, cobalt blue, yellow ochre and white.
 

This time it's an imaginary still life sparked by the sight of
a handless mug. Everything else came out of my mind

No comments:

Post a Comment