Monday 25 January 2016

Day 25 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days

Jan 25, 2016

30 Paintings in 30 days

Day 25

 I don't know about you but I do like to see an artist's sketchbook. I particularly want to read the notes one writes to themselves.
 

All those little instructions you almost can't read or when you can, make no sense to anyone except their maker.
 

I have been fortunate enough to go backstage, so to speak, and in places, where the average artist doesn't get to to see or handle original art work of someone well known.
 

I got to do it with Arthur Schilling's work, and I got to do it with the Frederick Bantings' drawings. Up until that moment in my life I hadn't known Banting painted with the Group of Seven occasionally.
 

When I saw all the Banting drawings they were in the Alliston Library (Ontario) being prepped to be put on line for the whole world to see. Then they were to be moved moved to the Simcoe County Archives.
 

So there I was with the conservators.
 

I was given small pristine white cotton gloves to wear to keep the oil in in my skin from damaging the paper. A conservator sat right beside intently watching my every move so I didn't inadvertently do anything that might damage a drawing. He was a pleasant young man intent on doing things the right way, no, the safe way. He was pleasant, polite, kind, gentle and very knowledgeable about Banting's life and these drawings
 

I was almost afraid to breath. It was a very big deal my being allowed in the room. I remember how fascinated I was, and oh so careful. There were drawings of his travels in Europe right down to the Lombardy poplar trees and drawings from his travels in Algoma Ontaro with the boys.
 

That two hours has stayed fresh in my mind for about 18 years.
 

All those little notes that take a painter right back in time and place. To the weather, the smells. Every thing about a hand recorded scene is forever etched in the mind of the artist. Where they were, when the drawing was done, who they were with if anyone. Why that spot, or person.
 

All of it stays with you for life. Artists are time travelers.
 

I don't have a Schilling or a Banting to show you but I was in the Alliston Library the other day when I did this drawing. I just now realized I do the same little notes and things all over the sketchbook paper when I believe a painting may come of the drawing

 So here are my visual/word notes from the New Tecumseh Public Library - Alliston Branch. (I got consent)
                                                     Alice Edwards 1949 --
my visual notes for "At the Computer"
5" x 6"
pen, ink and pencil on paper







 


No comments:

Post a Comment