Thursday 14 January 2016

Inspiration


Jan 14, 2016

Several people have asked me on the QT where my inspiration comes from. Everywhere anywhere, and in any situation where I find myself.

For example my daughter was having cancer treatment in London, I drew and painted in the various waiting rooms. It helped to make things bearable in a situation where I was helpless to heal my child.

She's fine now and has children of her own, but painting saw me through that.

If you and I go for coffee, I have a pen and sketch book in hand. If we went to the library. Same thing. You invite me to dinner I sit in the kitchen drawing you while you peel potatoes unless of course I am roped in to help.

My friends know this about me and they still love me. I'm a lucky woman that way.

Since I have so many sketch books hanging around I thought I'd show you a few of them. I have years of reference photos too.

These days my phone camera makes a trusty notebook too. I get permission from people and away we go.

I don't work directly from any of it. It just goes inside me, percolates giving me ideas, memories and general information to draw on. ( oops, sorry about the pun)

Even in portrait commissions where I must sometimes use a photo/photos are mixed with interpretation.

Do I prefer to work from life. Yes.

Why? Because the indescribable collaboration between model/subject, animate or not and the painter produces something special. Something truly unique.



Anyway here are a few of the sketch books that live at my place. And Skips' ear. He's so nosey

No comments:

Post a Comment