Friday 6 January 2017

Day 6 30 Paintings in 30 Days Jan 2017

Feel free to share
Day 6  30 Paintings in 30 Days Jan 2016
  Imagination
Studio life can involve a great deal of imagination. Or more accurately imagination can save the day. My day at least.


I innocently got busy setting up a still life. That seems to be my thing the past few days. Found a wine glass I liked, found something smoothish for the background in a basic very dark burgundy I knew would be easy to adjust if the painting called for it.

Chased the dog off my drawing chair. He was looking mightily offended when he left the room but sacrifices must be made for art. (I'm just glad it wasn't me making the sacrifice today)

Sat down thinking I might do a few thumbnails ( tiny drawings where the painter makes decisions about he painting before beginning to paint ) for a change when I realized I'd left the grapes at the store.

Alice Edwards 1949 --
Study: Glass and Grape
8" x 6"
oil on canvas board

This is where imagination saved me mixed with some painting experience.


No grapes. Wanted grapes to go with the wineglass. So ... I drew a a few thumbnails putting grapes and other glasses where I thought I might like them.


Decided on simplicity. I didn't want to go back to the store. It was getting too cold out there for this puppy. So.... I picked the thumbnail I liked and proceeded to invent a grape..


After all this series of painting exercises are not just about a studio habit it's about experimenting.


So in the end I experimented. I'm not utterly satisfied or completely dissatisfied.


But I learned something today about a truism I've heard all my life.
Necessity IS the mother of invention.


Hope you're having a good time painting!


No comments:

Post a Comment